12.04.2007

get in the christmas spirit, you

Over satsumas and Sufjan, with some trepidation, I make my announcement:
Next semester, I'll be studying in San Francisco.

Ok, the worst is over.

The weather has been so strange lately- 38 degrees last night! But today in the 70s, with higher local swell than I've ever seen- higher than it's been for 2 years, apparently. There were about 20 surfers at East Beach, next to the pier.

I'm going to miss this stretch of the Pacific--this surfing, skating, avocado-eating, classic California culture that I both mock and share in--that has pursued me all of my life. Oh So-Cal, I came to find something, and you offered all you had. And now you are as fully in me as my Washington, now after every Christmas and summer spent with you, now after these 18 months.

On to the next adventure. I've never even been to San Fran, you know. I come from the wilderness, for goodness sake! Mountains and islands through and through!

I am afraid of this next part of the journey, but just a little. Feeling a little bit brave. And trying to soak up every last moment with my beautiful friends in the Barb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to come and visit you there, I think. And, I think they still eat avocados. You should be fine.

lisa said...

I think you will enjoy it very much. Byron and I did the Urban Program Spring Semester of 1982. Ha! Has the city changed since then? Ha, again! But all the really good bits will still be there.

Brad Berky was on the program with us and Karen Andrews was a contemporary of ours back on campus.

Gosh, we must be old.