9.14.2008

our folklore days

put away the canvas, now--it has all been painted white
huddle close, listen, now, to the stillness of the night

the hens running free, the ducks and the geese merry
the weight of a ripe melon measured in your palm
and black seeds from the yellow and red fruit spat pleasurably to the sand at your feet

the days are spinning now, harder and faster than before
and you are careening toward something you can't see
oh, hold on in your dizziness, hold tight

the blooms of shy sunflowers fading now
once saffron and amber, ivory and gold
the roundness of each august peach in your hand
now turning to an apple, an oblong pear

the days are slipping away, dandelions blown by the wind
the harvest is coming, the harvest is here
put away the canvas, let it rest with your sweet summer dreams
bind up your bare feet, braid the wild farmer hair into the attention of your studies

come closer, now, lock your fingers in mine
we will fall into the leaves of autumn
rejoicing, we will brave the winter together

let the shimmering strips of fabric dance on in the shifting winds

2 comments:

papercrowncarrier said...

My dear friend, I just felt like I need to tell you that I love your blog! I like diving into the poetic world of your thoughts... They make me feel happy or thoughtful (depends) inside, and I love it. Also, I got your letter today and my heart jumped around my chest for a little while and that also made me happy inside :)...

Anonymous said...

Hi Beautiful! Oh, now THIS...THIS ribbon of poetry makes my heart swell. You know why, and I know why you love it. Aw! I miss you! (where is it from, by the way??) Oh my. Kate and I are sitting here in Mozzyland. Some adorable young boys just brought us a humble offering on a plate of some sweet treat that they were making for their movie night. :) I really do love it here. I feel right at home and I can't believe that it's been over a month already. Though I must admit, I didn't realize how much I value Indian summer in the Northwest until I came here. Oh, to drink tea and flirt with the leaves with my feet... I was informed that you are coming home for Thanksgiving?? true?? I jumped for joy when Kate told me- ask her! Aw. We love you!!! I'm bringing you home something pretty. :) Well, I wrote you an email on your comment thinger, so uh... I'll talk to you later!