2.15.2012

on working at the best school

Today I was filling out paperwork to for a routine dental check-up in my new town, and as I checked no to question after question (gum pain, discomfort chewing, bleeding, coldness, numbness, tooth decay, blisters, sensitivity, erosion, jaw pain, etc, etc, etc) I remembered again how much we have to be grateful for that, most days, I confess I fail to even notice.

After site shadowing at another elementary school in a neighboring county, I decided to make a list of all the reasons I love Blue Ridge. I've worked in seven schools now, and attended ten more, and it really is such a unique, energizing atmosphere. Here's why:

  • First of all, the building is underground, a grassy knoll on one side, exposed windows on the other. Huge skylights overhead allow light into each stairwell so even the basement hallway is lit. The structure is ''an architectural gem 30 years ahead of its time'' according to one architect from Boston I met last weekend, who said he spent some time studying the building's design when he moved out west.
  • We do zumba every morning for 15-20 minutes. 'Nuff said.
  • The color makeup. I hope this is not shallow, but after visiting a very white country school, and having a conversation with a six-year-old about hunting and how he shot a deer in the foot and thought it was super funny, my appreciation is majorly renewed.
  • Latino teachers. Young teachers. Brown teachers. Six male teachers. That is kind of unheard of in elementary.
  • Recycling. I know that seems standard, but trust me, a lot of schools don't.
  • Many bilingual teachers and students.
  • The view of the Blues (for which it is named)
  • The eagle mascot
  • The Turkey Trot. The best!
  • No gossip/teacher drama.
  • The salad bar.
  • The secretaries.
  • Hearing and speaking Spanish every day.
  • The kids, duh!! Some of the most hilarious and precious and ridiculous and wonderful little ones I've met... not that I'm biased or anything...

No comments: