3.15.2012

poems for first graders

Part of my job is teaching four rotations of first graders poetry, rhyme, and sentence construction every afternoon. They each have journals to work in with words and pictures, and every week I write a new little poem based on the story they're reading from their lit book... I wanted to share these two from the last few months.

~~~

Winter came, and I burrowed in the ground
When the snow showed its face, I was nowhere to be found
In my tunnel I stayed till spring was on her way
And through December I dreamed of the Butterfly Queen
Of her wings the color of my heart.

~~~

We spent the summer picking apples
From sunrise until dusk
The light kissed my cheek in the morning,
Painted my hair with its dust
When darkness fell, in the kitchen
Grandpa would hold me close
Tell me stories of his boyhood
He talked of Mexico the most
And when I slept, I dreamed of those days
Mi abuela in long bright skirts
Of my Grandpa's hands playing guitar
Red apples, the color of the earth.

No comments: